April 25, 2007

TAYLOR - WINTER MELT - body paint








This is an example of what my backgrounds look like before I paint the models. I work on butcher paper that I've crumpled up to get a textured look. Actually, if you don't texture the paper in some way, the paint will usually create unattractive wrinkles, so it's a good way to make sure the final result looks 'artistic'.

This setup was inspired by the melting snows of winter, running down a rocky stream. As you can tell in the closeups, I use brushes, rather than airbrushes as many body painters do. In my normal artistic pursuits, I work very tight and detailed, so I've been trying a loose brushy style for these setups. It certainly helps to speed things up.

Generally it takes me a day to paint a backdrop, then between one and two hours to paint the model.

No comments: